skip to main content
Counseling Center
University of Mississippi

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What services does the Counseling Center offer?
A: The University Counseling Center is a professional counseling facility offered by the University of Mississippi to assist students, faculty, and staff with many types of life stressors which interrupt day-to-day functioning.  We offer individual counseling, couple’s counseling, group counseling, crisis intervention, assessments and referrals, outreach programs, psychiatric services, consultations, and substance abuse services.

Q: Who can use the UCC?
A: All members of the University of Mississippi community (students, faculty, and staff) are eligible to use our services.

Q: Is there a fee?
A:  Counseling services: Services are free for all university students currently enrolled. A $50 fee for failed appointments/late cancel (2 hours prior to appointment time) will be billed to your bursar account.

Psychiatric services:  For new client psychiatric and nurse practitioner visits, there is a one time fee of $10 charged to your bursar. All follow up appointments are free of charge.  A $50 fee for failed appointments/late cancel (2 hours prior to appointment time) will be billed to your bursar account.

For fee information regarding faculty and staff, please see the Employee Assistant Program information located under the services tab.

Q: What can I talk with my counselor about?
A: You are free to talk about any issues that may be troubling or confusing to you, including concerns about your relationship with a partner, relative or child. Sometimes you may know quite clearly “what’s bothering you,” and your counselor will help you develop new strategies for dealing with these problems.

At other times you may have general feelings of being “anxious,” “depressed,” or “unmotivated.” Your counselor can help you begin to clarify these feelings by asking questions and offering feedback about what he/she is hearing or observing.

Counselors and Clients discuss a variety of topics, including relationship issues, stress, depression, anxiety, loneliness, sexuality, eating issues, perfectionism, academic concerns, discrimination, and transition difficulties.

Q: If I see a Graduate Assistant, will other staff or the University have information about our discussions?
A: Visits to the University Counseling Center are strictly confidential. The UCC adheres to the legal limits of confidentiality and the ethical codes of the American Psychological Association, the American Counseling Association, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

Confidentiality applies to your sessions, your records, appointments, and progress in counseling. No record of counseling is contained in any academic, educational or personnel file.  No information written or oral will be released to other persons without the client’s written permission.

When visiting a Graduate Assistant (GA), your sessions are shared ONLY with their immediate supervisory counselor within the UCC for training and professional development. It is your choice to see a Graduate Assistant or a full-time Counselor.

Please Note: The availability of GA’s may be greater than that of full-time counselors. Therefore, should you desire an immediate appointment, you may need to see a GA.

GA sessions are also HIPAA protected.

Please note: By law, limitations on confidentiality apply when there is risk of imminent self-harm or harm to others.

 Q: Will anyone else have access to information about me?
A: Everything you say to your counselor is confidential. Our staff will not release ANY infromation without a signed release from you.

Please note: By law, limitations on confidentiality apply when there is risk of imminent self-harm or harm to others.

Q: If I go to the UCC, does that mean there’s something wrong with me?
A: No, it doesn’t. Most clients who use our services are interested in their personal growth and adjustment to changes in their lives. Many students face normal developmental concerns and academic pressures while at the University of Mississippi, and at times feel anxious, angry, or depressed. It is often helpful to gain the perspective of a neutral professional. The UCC staff is trained to help you think about alternatives or options to your behavior and ways of dealing with the world.

Q: What if I need to be seen longer?
A: If your concerns require long-term or more intensive counseling, we will help you to connect with a private therapist or community agency. We are familiar with most of the social service agencies in Lafayette County. Please Click Here for more information about local, private practices.

Q: How do I make an appointment?
A: To make an appointment, call 662-915-3784 or stop by the Counseling Center.

We are located at 79 Dormitory Row West in Lester Hall – 2nd Floor. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.

Crisis intervention services are available on a 24-hour basis without an appointment by calling the number above.

Q: What if my needs are urgent?
A: The UCC offers triage services from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM Monday – Friday, which allows you to walk in and be seen as soon as possible.

Telehealth Crisis Intervention Services are also available on a 24-hour basis without an appointment by calling 662-915-3784.

Q: What if I am concerned about a friend or roommate?
A: If you are concerned about a friend, please submit a Care Report.

Q: Can I request a particular counselor?
A: We will generally assign you to a counselor on the basis of schedule. If you have any concerns, you can discuss them with your counselor in the first session.

Q: What if I need to talk with someone on evenings or weekends?
A:  Emergency situations in which students are in danger of harming themselves or others should be handled by UPD at 662-915-7234 or call 911.

If you are experiencing a mental health-related crisis or emergency after regular business hours, weekends, or during a holiday, please call the UCC office at 662-915-3784 to speak to an after-hours counselor.